What to take to a Kungfu School
Well first, things in China are a bit different, some things are easy to buy here, others are rather difficult to come by.
There are a lot of things you might need or want for comfort, which are impossible to find, while other stuff can easily be bought here.
So first some things you do not need to take with you:
- Bottles ( more than enough, even glass ones for tea, relatively cheap)
- Notebooks (don’t bother super cheap and quite cute)
- Chinese Language Books (can be easily found in Shanghai and Beijing for half the price to home)
- Cooling Creams or Heating creams for sore muscles – Get Tigerbalm and Red Flower Oil in China, that stuff works wonders
- Beef Jerky- They have that too, maybe strange flavors, but you can find tried beef and loads of other tried stuff 😛
- White clothes and shoes – Do not…they won’t stay white and maybe never will be again…washing maschines just wash with cold water in China…that dirt won’t get out.
- Extra Bags/Handbags besides your luggage…just buy a new one for 25-70 Rmb.
- Umbrella -the see-through ones just cost 10 Rmb
Do definitely bring enough shoes with you if you have big feet (everything over 41 for the guys and over 39 for the girls) and also fitting pants…the chinese ones can be a tad short and well what can I say, I am wearing L and XL in China, sizes tend to be rather small^^
Other things you should definitely bring with you.
1. Some hygienic things:
Shampoos and Conditioner can be super expensive, hair mouse is impossible to come by. When they have it it is for sure not for curly hair. So if you have special needs, take with you what you think you will need. At least for the first couple of months, until you figure out which of the local goods will work for you.
I also always take some sanitary wipes with me, sunscreen (a lot of training outside) and mosquito spray, because those will eat you in the summer.
Also do not forget deodorant. I have the feeling they do not really use it here…while you come by some roll-ons(which never worked as good for me as the ones at home) it is close to impossible finding sprays.
So to get this listed:
– Hair Mouse or Hair Spray
– a good razor (they are not the best quality here)
– face wash & creams (most stuff in china will contain whitening agents)
2. The Food :
– Well in short you will get mostly everything in China in the cities, buuuuut good coffee orchocolate is hard to come by. The same goes for milk products, shakes or sweets.
So on my list:
–1 pack of grounded coffee (can’t stand the dissolving powder, you will find filters in China, show you soon my coffe construction =D )
–1 bag of protein shake (need it for the training, as protein is not so very easy to come by in china+ it kills the worst sugar cravings)
-a stash of chocolate against the sugar cravings (there is no way around it when you are training so much…your body wants it 😛)
– Peppermint and Fruit Teas (they have all kind of green teas and strange flower teas, but I haven’t found peppermint tea yet…which is great against stomach aches, while you are getting used to the food)
3. Lastly some Sport Stuff:
Anything you like to train with. Apps (download before coming to china-Chinese Firewall Issue), Mouth Guard for Boxing, special knee protection, Sporttracker…while you maybe can find it in China, the quality isn’t always the best and also it isn’t always so easy to actually find the stores, or can you read Chinese?
So I took with me:
- Sporttracker, which I lost on the train-.-
- Kneebraises and a wrist support band
- plenty of bandaids
- Thin Boxing Gloves
- Strange Calve Support Bands (supposed to help the blood circulation…I am not a fan)
Anything else is just the usual clothes and shoes. Take enough sport clothes with you, a couple of nice and warm jackets, with which you are able to train, good running shoes, best for outdoor running (need a good profile) and a headband is not bad, keeps the sweat out of the eyes or warms the ears when it’s cold.
Anything else you would want to add? Or do you have questions why I take some things or why I maybe do not take other sport things? Feel free to comment =)